Saturday, June 10, 2006

Yes, We Have No Bananas!

In response to the Liberal Banana

Your Political Profile:
Overall: 5% Conservative, 95% Liberal
Social Issues: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal
Personal Responsibility: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal
Fiscal Issues: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal
Ethics: 0% Conservative, 100% Liberal
Defense and Crime: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal

I'm still trying to figure out which question triggered the 25% conservative rating for defense and crime. I'm guessing that it's the same question that fellow Left Coaster Zygote Daddy answered the same way, since we got the same score.

Perhaps, after he dumps his loveseat on the scary consignment woman and turns in his thesis, he'll figure it out. Or perhaps I'll motivate to figure it out.

But probably not, because we're in that we've-been-up-for-at-least-two-hours-in-a-row-let's-take-a-nap phase of pregnancy. So, after I get the sourdough starter going--if you come for a visit, I recommend Sunday breakfast. Sourdough waffles with Vermont maple syrup from Grandma's farm on Sundays versus FiberOne every other day.

After that, as I drift off to sleep, I'll be comforted by the reminder of good liberals in the world like LB and ZD--people who would do something helpful and good, rather than lash out as a result of their ignorance and fear, like these knuckleheads are doing.

5 comments:

  1. I was wondering the same thing about that 25% c...c...con... no, I can't even say it. I figured it was probably because I said that authority should be questioned, which puts me one mail bomb away from Ted Kaczynski. And he was no dirty tree-huggin' pinko...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting poll, if polarity is what you're after. I was going to take it, out of curiosity.

    Then I ran across a question where I thought neither answer was completely wrong. Hmm. I picked one.

    Then I ran across a question where I knew neither answer was really right. (For reference: On taxes, the solution is neither cutting them to stimulate the economy, which is a bogus theory, nor having the rich pay more. The answer is using them more sensibly so we all can pay less. For example, there are several ways to gut defense spending without sacrificing national security. Then we can quibble over who pays relatively more or less.)

    I decided at that point that I didn't want to find out how far off the axis of current polemic I was, so I quit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZD, I think that you're right. I answered that question the same way. Interesting about Kaczynski; I don't think that either side would claim him.

    MJ, I think that you're also right. I had the same reaction to the tax question, especially about government spending. The Post did a nice piece on how much we're spending on continuity of government planning--ensuring that, in the event of catastrophe, the Department of Education will continue to function. Yeah, because we need to be sure that no child is left behind after the apocalypse.

    I think that the poll's an interesting reflection of how we've come to accept the absurd divisions among us that have been handed down to us. I find it easy to yell at the conservatives on the tube, but I haven't met one who I can't chat with.

    We can choose to remain divided or to stand together, or we can let others choose for us. In the end, it's still up to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:43 PM

    I agree with Jumbo. Im not a smart man, but I stopped several times and said well I will take the one thats the most not wrong to what I think. I really am a libertarian(sp) Take #13 for instance, a profit to your share holders is a biz responsibility not a social one.And how about 14? You cant just say a blanket question like that, do i need my tax money going to every one who has a cold? No, but would I deny someone aids or cancer care? No. You have seen how Canada works and it sux. All the guys in the band here in our show are from Canada and they are sooo thankful to not use that healthcare system anymore.And #7? Its both those things. Do I want Hutch with a gun? NOOOOO but I want me o have one. Do you want me to have one? NOOOO you probably dont. Do I also want Riff to drive a car? NOOOO why? Because they are scary and dangerous. In the wrong hands something like the presidency is scary and dangerous!!!

    So if I posted my results no one on here would be my friend anymore. Soooo the King shall go back to shooting TVs.


    MMMM El Polo Loco is here!!!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I took this quiz I kept thinking, I just want everyone to be able to be mostly free to do what they want. Does that make me Libertarian? Peace and Freedom? Introverted? Conflict averse?

    I also get kind of squeamish about these labels, Lib or Con, Rep or Dem, etc. Seems dehumanizing really. And the section labels are an artificial separation too, because really all of them are related.

    Questions like the one about corporate shareholder responsibility make me realize that the structures themselves are wrong. Sure, if you are incorporated and publicly traded, under current law the shareholder is your only concern. So, if that creates a world where corporations are inherently unethical, make a new world! OK, wishful thinking, I know.

    ReplyDelete