Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pick me up and turn me round

First, I'm happy to report that Barky is doing better with just the anti-inflammatories, according to Mama's latest report. He started antibiotics today, just in time for Mama to hand him off to our neighbor, who will get to clean up any of the side effects, should they come up. Or out.

Apparently, he even got up on S.S. Bed, which is what a friend dubbed our 7-foot high monstrosity. It's comfy and all, but seriously, I'm still not sure what benefits a 5 1/2 foot tall mattress has over a regular height mattress, other than that when I'm 63, I'll be able to fall off of it and snap my pelvis.

That's also good news for 3B, who got a pretty mean barking to when he was driving his cars up over the haunch of Mount Barky yesterday. 3B burst out crying, and Mama did her best to explain, but he was still pretty upset. Fortunately, these things pass pretty quickly.

And this week has passed pretty quickly too, even though it seems to drag. All of a sudden, tomorrow is Thursday, Mama and 3B fly out the day after that and I see them the day after that. Oh yeah, I also see Brother #2 and Sisters #1 & 2 then as well. Oh yeah, and all the nieces and nephews. Oh yeah, and aunts, uncles and cousins. But I still can't wait to see Mama and 3B.

It's been nice to be back in my hometown, and it's been a week full of strange thoughts about place--why do we like certain places? familiarity? memories? inherent qualities of the location? or some overlaying of all those and other factors?

And what is familiar? a memory? Every day, I have woken up in the house I grew up in, eaten breakfast as my father did, gone to the train station as my father did, ridden into the same city my father did, and walked to work in a building my father worked in. It's all so familiar, it almost feels like I'm remembering it, and yet I've never done it before. And he hasn't done it for over 20 years. And the city's not even the same place any more, so are there inherent qualities that are triggering this feeling?

Perhaps it comes from the fog, which is a constant presence here, flying and sitting, illuminating us through reflected radiance and dimming the world into shades of slate, chilling everything and burning off, an ephemeral constant.


Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

Better by design
Or get new posts via email . . . Enter your email address:

4 comments:

  1. Yes, but did your father have 7 different kinds of veggie burgers to munch on for lunch?

    Glad to hear things have settled down back at the fort. Have a great time with Mama and 3B. Can't wait to hear more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, veggie burgers are one of those things that I wonder what Dad would have thought of. The internet's another one. I think I have a pretty good idea of what he'd think of Paris Hilton, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news about Barky.

    Eh, you're making me miss SF just with the bit about the fog.

    Evidently southeastern Idaho bears some resemblance to southern California, so I'm waiting to see what memories come up for me there. Probably nothing unless they import some smog, earthquakes, and brush fires. Oh, and narcissistic speed-freak SUV drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going back to places you have been before or heard of is always interesting. When I am done riding my bike by the beach and walking around the island and swimming around the island, maybe I will share my reflections with you too.

    I am looking forward to picking up 3B and Mama tomorrow night, and everyone is looking forward to seeing all of you.

    Amama: What other kind of SUV driver is there? If there are not enough of those, there are plenty of large pickups driven by similar individuals in Idaho, Washington, Montana and all the other big states out there in the inland northwest.

    ReplyDelete