Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Babble, burble, banter

From the mouth of our babe this week have fallen a few bon mots, including the current favorite, thanks to Brother #2: "1, 2, 3, 4 penguins that were by the door." And then there are these...

"This is called air guitar." --Mrs. K was especially impressed by this. So was I, since I only taught it to 3B over breakfast, and he was apparently doing it all day.

"You've got poop all over your crib. You want to wash your hands." --Mama was not so impressed by the accuracy of this statement, uttered at the conclusion of 3B's nap yesterday. According to her, 3B went digging for gold, then went all Jackson Pollock in his crib. Good times.

"Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" --Mama commented that my son was the only kid on the playground singing out this line, and then muttered something I couldn't quite make out about who had taught him this song. Hey, just be grateful that he hasn't mastered the next few lines--but don't worry, we'll work on it...

The mate was fixed by the bosun's pike
The bosun brained with a marlinspike
And cookey's throat was marked belike
It had been gripped by fingers ten;
And there they lay, all good dead men
Like break o'day in a boozing ken
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

Subscribe to the Bradstein feed--Vorsprung durch Technik!

Better by design
Or get new posts via email . . . Enter your email address:

10 comments:

  1. Sorry Mama, the kid is hilarious. I am sure Jackson Pollock got his start just the same way. I would have helped clean up if I was there, while I laughed. Did you know that Jackson Pollock once lived in my former home town? Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think he's pretty funny too, it's just that sometimes he's like his dog: too clever for his own good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as long as he doesn't get all Salvador Dali and start hiding poops about the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If he did that, 3B would be taking after his doggy as well as Dali, since Barky has been known to bury cookies in the couch, blankets on the bed, laundry piles, and so forth. At least, if 3B does that, we'll know that they're related.

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't 3B just so much fun?

    My little bro, at the tender age of 2, was heard on the playground telling another kid, "I'll whoop ya with my flip-flop" as he was attempting to remove his shoe.

    ...oh, kids ARE so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, but sorry Mama about the whole crib incident. that must have been really....gross, time consuming, shocking, smelly, you name it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit I have been in your shoes, except for it was me saying those clever words, not a smart child who was actually aware of what they were doing. Clean up is so tedious considering how many corners the bars of the crib have as it meets the top and bottom rail. Did you get to clean the wall too? I have done a crib and the car seat (yes with poo) several times. The car seat you can hit with a hose though.

    Fun to hear how he is using his new talent of speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The line we hear around here is usually, "Why is it the Rum is always gone?" and many other forms of the same concept.

    In school my youngest learned the song, What Do You Do With a Sea Sick Sailor, my brother D says get him drunk, then I know what to do with him.

    It is so hard to shelter your kids. I prefer the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cure for a seasick sailor is to sit underneath a tree, according to Lord Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. L-P: Gee, from what influential older person did your little brother learn such a phrase?

    KMoo: Yes, it's also nice how he can point out "That is beer" and "That is wine" with 100% accuracy.

    CAGirl: Lord Nelson has no sense of adventure...what could be more fun than shaving the belly of a drunken sailor with a rusty razor?

    ReplyDelete